History of Blyton

RAF Blyton opened on April 20th 1942. Like most second world war stations, it had three concrete runways and a large range of hangers, bomb stores and accommodation buildings. The station was home for 1966 male and 389 female service personnel.

Initially RAF Blyton was an Operational Training Unit (O.T.U.) for Polish aircrew learning to fly Wellington bombers but in November 1942 199 Squadron moved in and flew 119 sorties over enemy territory up to February 1943, losing only one aircraft.

In 1943, Blyton became home to No1662 Heavy Conversion Unit (HCU) who remained until the end of the war flying both Wellington and Lancaster bombers. Over fifty aircraft left Blyton in this period never to return…

At the end of the war Blyton was allocated to the US Air Force as a reserve field during which time the runways were coated in tarmac. In 1954 the airfield closed for good although crews from adjacent stations used its runways for circuit and landing practice.

We would like to pay tribute to all the brave servicemen and women who served at Blyton between 1942 and 1945. Their courage in maintaining and flying those magnificent machines was a vital element in freeing Europe from the tyrannical threat posed by the Third Reich.

Aviation Post Script

Although aircraft  rarely land at Blyton now and they are usually helicopters, we still see some wonderful sights in the skies above the field. In 2010 we welcomed the Hurricane from the Battle of Britain flight which did a fly-past at the BAS Grasstrack round in August. In addition, the sole surviving airworthy Vulcan bomber passed over at low altitude on September 11th as we were preparing for the Rallycross Championship. Finally the Red Arrows can often be seen in the distance as they practice aerobatics from their home at RAF Scampton which was of course home to that most famous squadron of all: The Dambusters of 617 Squadron in their Lancasters.